We all know that the modern family is changing its dynamic. Here are a few surprising facts about grandparents raising grandchildren in the United States:
1. According to a 2010 survey, about 1 in 14 U.S. children lived in a household headed by a grandparent.
2. Nearly 5.8 million U.S. children live in their grandparent's homes.
3. Over 2.5 million grandparents have taken on the responsibility of caring for these children.
4. In Virginia alone, 60,675 grandparents are householders responsible for their grandchildren. 16% of these grandparents live in poverty.
5. The percentage of children living in their grandparent's household has been steadily rising over the last 40 years, more than doubling from 1970 to 2010.
Many grandparents raising their grandchildren are not aware of the many programs and services available to them. For more statistics and helpful resources in Virginia, see AARP's state Grandfacts Sheet. And no matter what state you call home, see more about AARP's Grandfacts.
If you or someone you know is a grandparent raising a grandchild and you're interested in finding out what kind of government programs may be available to you, try the government Benefit Finder.